The winner of the 2014 SHE’S THE ONE emerging female artist competition was…Emma Peckford!
The recording project for “Just Breathe” is the result of the SHE’S THE ONE prize package that Emma won, which included a whirl-wind, career-building trip to Los Angeles to work with renowned music producer, Barrett Yeretsian (Christina Perri, Glee). They recorded the song at the legendary Sunset Sound Recording Studio.
to listen to “Just Breathe” on iTunes
About SHE’S THE ONE
RBC Bluesfest is zeroing in on the best young, emerging female singers in Canada. We are looking for one special artist with an incredible voice backed up by a moving live performance.
Consider this your invitation, Canadian female singers, 13-21 years of age*, any genre of music!
2015 SUBMISSIONS NOW OPEN
RBC Bluesfest and Universal Music Canada will be working with the winner of SHE’S THE ONE to produce a single for a worldwide release. The SHE’S THE ONE winner’s expenses including any recording, production and travel costs, related to the prize package will be covered by RBC Bluesfest.
Starting to get your attention?
The prize package will be focused on artist development and industry networking. The 2015 winner of SHE’S THE ONE will collaborate with an industry producer in realising her potential hit song! The winner will be coached and guided through an all-expenses paid recording and production of this single.
The winner will have the opportunity to perform the song on a stage at the 2016 edition of RBC Bluesfest. The artist will be given all access rock star treatment at the festival and introduced to some of the most influential movers and shakers in the music industry.
Think you have what it takes to be the next Canadian female music sensation?
Click below to complete your application and include your video
Eligibility criteria and competition details*
The following terms and conditions are the official competition rules and eligibility criteria for SHE’S THE ONE Emerging Female Artist Competition.
RBC Bluesfest’s, SHE’S THE ONE Emerging Female Artist Competition is open to female singers between 13 and 21 years of age who reside in Canada.
*The artist MUST be between 13 and 21 years of age on the date of the finals: July 11, 2015.
*The artist MUST be available to participate in the finals on July 11, 2015 at RBC Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario. Travel assistance is available upon request.
- Song choice: both covers and originals are accepted.
- Video submission: the contestant may sing to a background track or to an instrument that they play or with accompaniment/band. The artist MUST be singing live, not lip-syncing. The contestant may only submit one video, and it should not exceed five minutes in length.
There will only be one contest winner, if the artist/singer performs with a band, the prize package will only be awarded to the singer.
- Once submissions close, the top artists will be chosen and contacted to perform for the “Finals” which will occur at RBC Bluesfest in Ottawa on Saturday, July 11, 2015. One winner (Canadian female singer aged 13 to 21 years on July 11, 2015) will be selected.
- If you are selected as a finalist, you must declare any pre-existing contractual obligations that may prevent you from participating and/or meeting all of the required legal obligations associated with the contest. Applicants must declare the following: if they have a partial or exclusive agreement with a record label, any representation (manager or agent), recording contracts, merchandising contracts, and any other contractual agreements that may prevent you from meeting the competition’s requirements, or impeding the contestant from signing the finalist’s Option Agreement with Festival House Incorporated and its industry partners.
- If chosen as the winner of SHE’S THE ONE, you MUST be available for a two to three week period in 2015 and 2016 to travel and work with RBC Bluesfest and its industry partners; dates and schedules will be chosen at the discretion of the SHE’S THE ONE’s management team.
- Finalists may be required to sign and agree to an Option Agreement with Festival House Incorporated and its industry partners, in order to facilitate the production and recording of the single and video. If you are a minor (under 18), your parent or legal guardian would need to sign the Option Agreement on your behalf.
- Finalists may be required to sign additional contracts with Festival House Incorporated, and/or its industry partners.
- If you are a minor (under 18), your parent or legal guardian must accompany you during all activities related to the contest.
- The prize package is not-redeemable as cash, and is non-transferrable.
- Individuals may not participate in SHE’S THE ONE if their participation would create impropriety or the appearance of impropriety. The organizer will consider whether you or any of your immediate family members or anyone living in your household may have been within the past two (2) years employees, officers, directors or agents of any of the following: RBC Bluesfest, Ottawa Music Foundation, Ottawa Folk Festival (CityFolk), or any sponsor of the SHE’S THE ONE contest. In addition, the organizer reserves the right to render ineligible any person that the organizer determines, in its sole discretion, is sufficiently connected with the production, administration, judging, or distribution of SHE’S THE ONE such that the contestant’s participation in SHE’S THE ONE could create the appearance of impropriety.
- The foregoing eligibility requirements may be amended, revised or changed at any time and in any fashion at the organizer’s sole discretion.
- Deadline for submissions is May 10th, 2015 at 11:59 EST.
Questions and answers
Can I perform a cover song (ie. song that I did not write?)
Do you accept instrumentalists?
No. We think instrumentalists are amazing, but this year we are looking for a vocalist.
I don’t play an instrument. Can I sing acapella (without accompaniment)? Can I sing to a track?
You can sing acapella, and you can also sing to a track. You cannot lip-sync, you must be singing live, in your own voice.
I don’t have any videos on YouTube. Can I still apply?
All submissions MUST have a video of you singing your song, live. Most people have a digital camera, or even a built in camera on their computer. Get to know your video recording software, set yourself up and then upload to YouTube!
More questions? Email: [email protected]